Sunday, May 5, 2013

You can paint your ceiling fan blades!

My kids don't sit down very often, because Moms motto is "if its holding still? You can paint it." Paint is the simplest and least expensive way to update anything in your life...except, maybe, your kids.

Our dining room ceiling fan is by Hunter. I love that its quiet, and moves air from our living area, which holds the woodstove in Winter and the A.C. Unit in Summer, to the rest of the house. The ceiling fan is almost always on, so the cheap veneer blades are hardly noticeable! But, whenever we turn it off I had to view the dark ugly blades. They are the standard issue...you get two sides from the factory.
Choose from:
A) dark fake cherry or
B) medium fake oak.
I picked C) Woodrow Wilson Putty by Valspar, the lovely new gray I just painted our living room accent wall in!
Here is the not-quite-before...
(because I generally think of a blog post about 1/3 of the way through a project)
You can see that I didn't even primer them, just slapped the paint on after a good scrubbing.
As an aside: Man, ceiling fan blades can get nasty along the edges, can't they?
If you choose to paint your blades, I really recommend a good primer, just to make sure the paint holds up well and doesn't blister or peel off. I've found that Kilz brand or BIN 1-2-3 are both good for helping paint adhere to smooth and shiny surfaces like these.
So if thats the wise choice, why didn't I do it? Well, I was in the middle of painting three rooms of my house and was in a hurry, so I took the risk that I might have to re-paint, later. And my life lives close to that ragged edge, baby!


As for what color to paint them, here are my thoughts on paint...if its something you love and want to highlight? Paint it an amazing, lovely color. Example: a bright red dresser with curvy lines. A funky yellow sideboard in the dining room, a warm green accent wall behind the bed. You want others to notice!
If its utilitarian or ugly? Paint it as neutral as possible so the eye glides right over. It's the reason we ladies wear basic black slacks with an amazing colorful blouse, am I right? Hips are great for childbearing but not the feature we want to highlight, usually.

Ceiling fans are hips. Necessary, but not something we draw attention to. We want them not to wobble, and not to be noticed!
Maybe in a kids room we go bright and colorful with the fan, but everywhere else? Quiet, calm and neutral.

I recently helped a client choose a ceiling fan for her huge living room. Even with 18 foot high ceilings, we went simple. Oil rubbed bronze metal with dark teak blades. Buy quality because you don't want them to shake or be loud. But choose a simple, classic design because ceiling fans, no matter how the manufacturers try to gussy them up? Are hips.


The light gray paint helped our ceiling fan blend in better with the low ceiling, and now it disappears a little more, visually. A simple trick that only took 15 minutes and a little bit of latex paint.



8 comments:

  1. I love ceiling fans for the same reason as you – that they circulate air very well over big spaces. And I also hated mine for the blades and the weird looking globe it had covering the light fixture. I spruced mine up in a similar way. I repainted the fake wood design a plain black, got creative by adding filigree in white and used an old lampshade to replace the globe. It was a dramatic transformation, I tell you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the paint holding up? I am giving serious consideration to painting my ceiling fan blades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite my not using primer first, it's holding up perfectly after four months of constant use! Thanks for visiting...I popped over and looked at your blog and you've been busy! Very creative, I loved it.

      Delete
  3. looks great. thanks for all the tips.

    hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm concerned that if I don't use the exact amount of paint on each blade I make it wobble. Comments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. You can try buying replacement blades. http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/replacement-ceiling-fan-blades.php

      Delete
  5. it's too bad more people aren't aware of this easy trick. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. view

    ReplyDelete