Thursday, November 7, 2013

Bathroom makeover

        When my sister-in-law was out of town this Summer, my brother called and asked if I'd be willing to help surprise her with a bathroom makeover. Honestly, I was nervous and told him so! Normally I work hard to help a client as they decide on every aspect of their re-design, and if I made all those decisions without her, and then she hated it...well, we are family, that could be awkward over holiday dinners, right?!

But my brother promised she would be thrilled with ANY changes made. Plus I love my sister-in-law, and the chance to bless her was too fun to pass up!
We started with a mess, frankly. (And I love that, as it makes for the best Before/After shots, right?!)

They had updated things quite a bit, with new flooring:

a new sink cabinet, and a better toilet. But the remnants of the old bathroom were still showing through, in mismatched paint colors and torn Sheetrock from the old vanity.
BEFORE:
AFTER:
BEFORE:
AFTER:
This is the only bathroom for a busy family of four, including two young children. Storage was sorely lacking and was my min concern. We needed to replace the practical-but-ugly plastic drawers with something easy to access, but more contemporary. I chose this open, cherrywood shelf from Lowes, and fit it with various baskets found around the house. The color of the wood ties in the existing cabinetry but adds a more modern feel.
The main problem with the sink cabinet is that it didn't "fit". And I don't mean size, I mean style. When you have an ornately carved, rich wood piece of furniture it gives a very classic, traditional "old world" vibe. But if your room or lifestyle is more urban casual, then the piece sticks out like a sore thumb...it just doesn't blend, no matter how beautiful it is. Your choice then, is to either "class up" the room around it, or "bring down" the furniture, by painting it.
For example, you inherited Grandmas French provincial, solid walnut buffet. It doesn't match your beach house, but its an heirloom you want to keep, so you paint it white (when your husband is away, because it causes men actual pain to see wood get painted) Instantly that stuffy old piece is shabby chic and right at home in your cottage!
This was the dilemma with their sink cabinet, and since they weren't keen on painting it, we went the other route. We elevated its surroundings, so it felt more at home!

One of the ways I classed up the bathroom, was by utilizing a deep, earthy and rich wall color. Benjamin Moore HC-79 Greenbrier Beige. Because of the green granite countertop, and the greenish gray of the floor, I chose a color in the green family but NOT green. That would be overload! This mossy gray-brown has enough green in it to marry the various colors, but still hold its own. I love "chameleon" neutrals like this, that change colors with the light, going from putty to brown to gray, depending on what the light source is. This is where it is extremely important to know what the undertones of your paint colors are! Notice in every photo, that it is a little different? Here is a picture of it, on the opposite wall, that shows very brown:
A key to adding more warmth to this room was the shower curtain...you don't get more traditional than paisley, but the colors in the pattern are very fresh and modern. (Found at Target) I also loved how the touches of brown pulled in the wood tones, helping blend the various elements.

To continue the upscale feel, I added "real" artwork (stolen from another room) with thick, traditional style frames that matched the heaviness of the sink cabinet. My luck, that the colors and styles matched so well!
And I think every bathroom can use a houseplant, for a touch of life in an otherwise sterile space! Another important component is how the wicker texture of baskets helps too break up all the slick surfaces that are inherent in a bathroom. Whenever you are decorating, even in a bathroom, remember that having various texture is key in making a room feel warm and welcoming!
Finally, a glass and tumbled stone mosaic backsplash to marry the mirror and vanity together. This was tile they had already chosen, and I installed it for them only because they are family! I am an amateur tile installer, at best, so don't expect to hire me to do yours (though I do have someone competent and professional I can recommend, if you need that in your redesign!)
They plan to move the light fixture over, and center it above the mirror. That was making me crazy, but my hair is curly enough as it is, I wasn't brave enough to attempt electrical work!
Considering that all of the shopping and the work was done in one day, that they live 2.5 hours away, and that we spent less than $150, this turned out amazingly well!
Of course the real test for me was Anne...I liked it, but would she feel like I'd overstepped? A few days later when her name popped up on my phone, I nervously answered. Sweet relief, that she was thrilled and appreciative! It made me so happy to hear her delight in their new bathroom...Another successful re-design! (And no awkward family get-togethers, either!)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! What a great change with practical solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for a reputable contextual ad network, I recommend that you try ExoClick.

    ReplyDelete